Sunday 13 September 2020

LOCKDOWN STORIES PART 1


*Where we started*

It's now coming to over 8 months since lockdowns, curfews, facemasks and sanitizers became the order of the day due to the corona/Covid-19 outbreak.
See, my daughter had just stared her baby class and she studied for only 3 weeks and schools were shutdown, I have a teacher friend of mine who got super devasted and still is because he was supposed to earn around 5 million Uganda shillings that he was gonna use to finalize his travel documents and go abroad for "work", alot of people were immediately shuttered but me on the other hand... I was kinda fine during the first 3-4 months reason being Covid-19 found me when I already had no permanent job, I was already desperate and frustrated and was surviving by doing random tech projects for a few buddies and old clients but the pay wasn't enough so I was eager for a miracle. But I didn't expect it would be disaster instead.

I saw my friends, family members lose their shit, neighboring tenants get evicted and most of my friends turning to heavy drinking just to get some sleep. The people who used to promise me money at the end of the month started asking me to sell their personal stuff just to get food and rent. I remember helping a teacher sell off his 300,000/= phone at just 90,000/= just to get and medical for his mom. Things were bad but I wasn't actually too shaken, i believe I was used to all this bad stuff happening to me and I was surprised that thru all that I tried to keep my buddies spirits high but not until we reached June, that's when things truly changed.

*end of part1*

No comments:

Post a Comment